Tour of Flanders build up (Nieuwsblad adverts)

Thursday, 29 March 2012

I love this video. Even if it is from last year and includes scenes from the Kapelmuur which is no longer on the climb it shows Flanders waking up on a Sunday morning in anticipation of the race. It is a huge day for many in the country, the biggest sporting event of the year.

The Kapelmuur is no longer in the race and the route has changed substantially for 2012. Hopefully everyone has worked out that the route has been changed for 2012…

Both videos public Het Nieuwsblad, the Flemish newspaper.

Pin It

Winternet_ March 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

That first video is pretty cool :)

Megacountax March 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m driving over there from London tomorrow morning to ride the sportive on Saturday – Can’t. Flipping. Wait.

El Gato de La Cala March 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Absolutely all over the place in my office cause the fact that De Ronde is comming up messes my head year after year. Plenty of work postponed for Sunday morning (the old killing-time-until-coverage- trick).

@ Megacountax A piece of advice for first time sportive/wielertoeristen participants: beware of the snakes in Vlaanderen – they bite [snake-bite] and keep tyre presure between 7,5- 8 bar if you are 75-85 kg and riding in dry conditions, this recommended by Andrea Taffi i 2002 during a training session followed by the words about riding the flat cobble sections: “either you do 50 Kph – or you do nothing”, said with his Italian accent and a huge grin on his face.

GAME ON!

miles March 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

That first video is fantastic, what a great way to set up the race.

936ADL March 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm

We’re on the Ferry Saturday AM to pop my RVV cherry. Can’t flippin’ wait!

Wes March 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Not sure if you’ve seen this – 2.5 hour history of the RdV in Flemish.

Chuffy March 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I rode the RVV sportive last year. It was brilliant, despite riding like a square wheeled donkey on the kaissen. This year I’ll be watching the race from a local bar which is showing the race and laying on frites and Leffe. Not quite as good as being there, but almost.

vincent March 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I wanna go do it some day tis far though from where I abode.

Papageno March 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

When you’re in Utrecht (NL, not Belgium) you can wathc it on a big screen over here: http://hetiskoers.nl/2012/het-is-koers-i-s-m-de-ekko-presenteren-ronde-van-vlaanderen-live/
(a dutch cycling blog). It’s gonna be a big cycling RvV party, with beers from the brewers along the course.

Scott March 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The first one is from 2008! It’s beautiful.

Bosko March 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Being Flemish, but living in London, I’ve ritually booked my Eurostar tickets ‘home’ just to see the race. The Tour of Flanders is the most important day of my year. It’s more then just ‘a race’, and I think that the Nieuwsblad clip shows that pretty well.

More about Flanders. This stuff should be translated into English, and the 2nd and final part is also missing, but it’s definitely worth checking, as it gives a good ‘feel’ about the atmosphere.

Can’t wait, may the best rider win! Leve de Ronde!

Chris March 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Wow, that video somehow made the Ronde seem boring. Quite a feat!

TheSkullKrusher March 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I am ready! Bring it ON!
P.S.: Hate the new Rodania Jingle. A total bummer.

Confused C Grader March 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I can’t speak flemish but who cares luv the 2nd video watching live from down under
can’t wait to experience live one day
Bring it on