≡ Menu

When bad news is good news

A small nugget from the UCI’s annual report, the triumphant report of rising internet traffic to the governing body’s website…

The statistics concerning the www.uci.ch website are also very encouraging. Nearly 2.8 million visits were recorded in 2010 (compared with 2.3 million in 2009). Furthermore, the previous record number of visits in one day was demolished when over 62,000 visits were made on 30 September.

What exciting news happened on 30 September 2010 to cause a rise in web traffic?

Well that was the day Alberto Contador’s positive test for Clebuterol was announced. I don’t know about you but this probably isn’t something to get boast about. It was one of the worst pieces of news the sport has seen in recent years and rising web traffic on the back of this isn’t that encouraging.

It’s the “Communications Service” of the UCI that is excited by record number, surely it should know better? To make matters worse, remember that the story was poorly handled, there were mysterious delays in announcing the case and it was eventually flushed out by the German reporter Hajo Seppelt right in the middle of the World Championships in Geelong.

• natalie Friday, 30 September 2011, 11:29 am

That definitely seems rather peculiar to be celebrating the most successful day of their site given the circumstances and how, as you rightly say, poorly handled the story was. Interesting they specifically name the date but omit the reason for the visits (“Hey, this was a really great day for us but don’t ask why!”).

• Flashing Pedals Friday, 30 September 2011, 11:37 am

this simply reflects the poor clarity & communication skills within the bowels of the UCI.

• mark rushton Friday, 30 September 2011, 12:31 pm

Worse than being talked about? Not being talked about

• ElBeeJay Friday, 30 September 2011, 1:59 pm

The UCI website is a catastrophe from a webdesign/user’s point of view. I’m not an IT-nerd, I just know that UCI.ci is a mess and seems to be edited by random donks.

That it actually amassed traffic just must be due to bad publicity but the Irish Goat aka Prez McQuaid wouldn’t know that of it bit him in the butt or thereabouts

• Ian Holmes Friday, 30 September 2011, 5:00 pm

They [the report writers] probably don’t even know / realise what the date means.

They have asked IT / hosting company for some stats and bingo

• daniel Saturday, 1 October 2011, 12:43 am

I’m glad my birthday was a great day for the UCI

• jackseph Saturday, 1 October 2011, 2:21 am

I am a blog addict and spend at least an hour a day filling my brain full of cycling related junk, yet I have never even thought about looking at the UCI’s website. They really are the cancer of the sport (no offence Mr Kimmage / Armstrong).

• TdF Lanterne Rouge Saturday, 1 October 2011, 1:51 pm

I believe the diagnosis is “tone deaf”.