Ronde van Paterberg, A Sunday on a Hill

Thursday, 28 March 2013

Can’t make it to the Ronde van Vlaanderen this Sunday? Well let this superb video take you there.

It’s 15 minutes of filming on and around the Paterberg, one of the two crucial climbs on the race route, from last year’s race. It’s as good as being there, all that is missing is the smell of fried food and the peaceful squelch of Flanders fields under your feet. You can find some beer for yourself.

Yes it’s in French and Dutch but you can still hop over the language barrier to get a feel for the place. Hear the Rodania cars, watch as the day begins and the fried food stalls open their shutters and soon the drinks flow. The fans gather for hours before the race has even started whilst locals on the course adopt different views.

We start with some holding a party even if they’re really cycling fans and, as you half expect in Belgium, someone is there in a rabbit suit. This is the country of Magritte and decorative urinating water fountains.

Next one man is obsessively taping off the entry to his house and doesn’t care for the race, he’s worried about people leaving litter, not just this race but “every week” and he really does not like the race.

Flags for Flemish independence are waved but later the group of Boonen fans say they want a Belgian to win, no matter if it’s Philippe Gilbert, a French-speaking Walloon and in fact they’d be happy if French champion Sylvain Chavanel wins because he’s a Quickstep rider, an adopted brother.

The race comes through and the only language is the cheer of the crowds and the rattle of cobbles. Watch as Team Sky’s car gets stuck and has to be pushed up the Paterberg.

Finally there’s Raymond, Tom Boonen’s grandfather gets a tear in his eye as he stands before the big screen.

Chapeau
The clip is part of a series of cycling films by French duo Nico Loth and Fred Adam. Loth first appeared on my radar after goofing around with Romain Feillu whilst Adam appeared on my radio as a cycling commentator for RMC radio. Together they’re putting these films out at the website labordure.fr and one about Team Colombia is in production.

A bordure is an echelon, the diagonal formation adopted by riders in a crosswind.

Note you can adjust the quality to suit your browser and internet connection.

BC March 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Another excellent blog. Liked the film – it does capture the atmosphere. The new arrangements last year made for difficult viewing, unless you liked being herded into an enclosure. The organizers would be well advised to remember that their event relies on the presence of fans in large numbers to give the race atmosphere. If last years arrangements continue, I for one will not continue attending.

The Inner Ring March 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

The jury’s still out on the course, it’s tiring for the riders but some TV viewers were complaining about a giant kermesse because of the laps. I wonder how the fans find the experience?

The VIP tents, grandstands and barriers are back in place.

Ankush March 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm

You’re cycling’s coolest cat! Thanks for posting this video.

Qwerty March 28, 2013 at 5:44 pm

A gem of a video. Makes you see what it means to the people, like its more than a race but something to last the whole day.

keith warmington March 28, 2013 at 7:02 pm

loved the vid and especially the emotional grand pere of Tom Boonen. A real gem , thanks inner ring

jeffdreadnought March 28, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Great vid – thanks for posting. Was thinking of heading for the Paterberg on Sunday and I think this has confirmed that we will.

That guy barricading his drive and going completely over the top with the red tape was v amusing – so curmudgeonly. A Belgian who hates cycling, who knew?!

The Inner Ring March 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Have a good time. I like the way the film captures the big screen but gets the noise of the crowd, you can feel the tension and atmosphere on the hill as Boonen starts his sprint.

Gus March 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Brilliant film, thanks for sharing this.

The Inner Ring March 28, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Well say thanks to http://labordure.fr/ for making it.

I spotted this film a while ago and knew it would be good to share just before the race itself. It’s worth checking out their site for more films on there.

David March 29, 2013 at 1:35 am

RO DAN i A. Terrific.

Duluth Baptist Clydesdale March 29, 2013 at 2:21 am

Great film. I love seeing crowds explode seeing their favorite rider win. Usually it’s hard for me to find people who even know who the riders are.

dw March 29, 2013 at 2:51 am

Excellent! Absolutely loved it.

Paul March 29, 2013 at 4:29 am

Thanks for this, before I watched this I didn’t get the new route, the race was lost to me, but after watching this it’s brought it back to me, now I’m ready for Sunday!!

@sciencetwitt March 29, 2013 at 7:35 am

lived and raced in Belgium for the last couple of years. The film is a perfect summary of what’s it like including the guy closing up the access to his house. The races form part of a wider party in each village and RVV is the biggest of the lot. I was once training on the RVV course and a local politician sped past in his car, came to a halt then got out and proceeded to tell me why the climb in his village was the best climb in the RVV route. There is a lot of pride.

Ankush March 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

could you put Rodania audio clip again please? ta.

The Inner Ring March 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

You have the Rodania story here:

And people can download the ring tone:

Steele March 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Awesome video and awesome post, I’ve only just found your blog and this is another reason why I check it everyday for awesome insights into the cycling world. Planning my next trip to Belgium next year for the classics!

mattiasdoe March 30, 2013 at 2:46 am

Wow this has me rethinking things. The VIP tent at the 2013 Cross Worlds was awesome but seeing this makes me want to get more into the local scene. It seems to me information sharing is key.

cgb March 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

the frituur guy coughs into his hand, then flips burgers.

Kento March 30, 2013 at 9:52 am

Fantastic video, captures the crowd atmosphere very well.

Rooto March 30, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for showing us the video. I particularly liked the way the video mechanics (volume, status bar, etc.) is done out in red, gold and black – a nice touch!

Doubter March 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for this inrng. Really brought out the Belgian pride in their sport/riders.
The chat w/Boonens grandfather was a nice touch.

PS That clip with Roman F was a bit manic.

Bart Z April 3, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Dutch April 4, 2013 at 4:43 am

One of the coolest things I have ever seen. I need to be there someday.