40 questions and loyal readers will know the drill. Some are easy, some will defeat Google and a few of the answers give us a sideways look at the sport…
1. Who is the strong rider above capable of pulling (a sleigh) all day?
2. Dressed in red and white he makes his way through the snow. Which pro cyclist is this?
3. Name a pro cyclist born on 25 December?
That Was The Year That Was
4. Cite two pro cyclists who were married to each other in 2023?
5. Who changed teams this year after they’d shot and killed a government minister’s cat?
6. Who sowed the seeds of Discord and played a part in a team mate swapping squads mid-season?
7. Who won a sprint with only one foot clipped into the pedals?
8. Who was lanterne rouge in the Tour de France?
9. Who was lanterne rouge in the Tour de France Femmes?
10. What happened at the place above?
The Bleak (North Hemisphere) Winter
11. Is cyclo-cross eligible for the winter Olympics?
12. Is there a set temperature for the UCI’s Extreme Weather Protocol to kick in if things are cold?
13. Many are riding indoors. What’s the world record for the longest single ride recorded on Zwift?
14. How many hairpins are there between the foot of Alpe d’Huez and the regular Tour de France finish line?
15. List three pros who share their name with a regional capital city.
16. Name a race called off in 2023 because of snow or ice.
17. Can a rider on one team help a rider from another team during a race, such as giving them a drink or a spare wheel?
18. What determines the order of team cars in the race convoy in a Monument?
19. What’s the penalty for a “sticky bottle” during a grand tour?
20. A rider is leading the mountains competition in a stage race and shows up with polka dot shorts, is this allowed?
Away from the bike
21. Which World Tour team manager has a large stamp collection?
22. Name a race where two qualified doctors stood on the podium this year?
23. Which Paris-Roubaix winner entered politics this year?
24. Which of the last two editions of the Tour de France have seen the overall leader change on the final day?
25. The Col de la Couillole is the final climb of the 2024 Tour de France, when did it first feature in the Tour?
26. Which of the five Monuments didn’t start as a newspaper publicity stunt?
27. Lotto have been sponsoring a Belgian pro cycling squad since the 1980s. But which sponsor has the longest unbroken run in the World Tour?
28. No it’s not an AI image. Can you name the two ex-pros on the front?
29. Which retired rider – hint: a World Tour stage race winner – recently spent a month jailed inside a castle?
30. Name a pro cyclist who became more famous for their non-cycling achievements rather than their sporting career.
31. What’s the top rate of income tax in Andorra?
32. Which World Tour team sponsor makes additives to turn farmed salmon pink?
33. Guimeng is a manufacturer that has supplied teams over the years with what?
34. Maria-Elizabeth Schaeffler-Thumann controls which team equipment supplier and Tour de France and Giro sponsor?
35. Whose cat is this?
36. Which national road race champion keeps a horse?
37. Who has a husky called Houna?
38. Name the rider suggested above
39. Name the rider suggested above
40. Name the rider suggested above
Made it to the end? If you want to have a go, post your answers in the comments below. Readers can collectively crowdsource their way together. The most correct answers get wins a small prize.
Small print: the deadline is midday Euro Time on Friday 29 December. The most correct answers wins and if there’s a tie then a name gets picked at random. As ever people can copy off each other which spoils the point but readers enjoyably more often collaborate than argue so together there’s a way to get plenty of answers. And if you want to deploy an eleventh hour copy-paste job… well that’s cycling for you, you can toil into the wind only for someone wheelsucker to sprint past in the finishing straight. Merry Christmas and Happy holidays…