≡ Menu

Cavendish IQ Competition: The Answer and The Winners

Thanks for all the entries. Now the moment many are waiting for: what is Mark Cavendish’s IQ and who wins the big prize?

Mark Cavendish IQ

The score is 128 according to Daniel Friebe, the writer who helped turn Mark Cavendish’s thoughts, speech and notes into At Speed.

A genius? Well you can make your eyes glaze over with discussion on Wikipedia and beyond about IQ tests, their scores and more. But on every count it means Cav’s score is well above average. But the point isn’t to analyse Cav’s brainpower like a coach pouring over an SRM file, nor whether Cav sat the test in icy exam conditions or on his iPad in an airport lounge … it’s to give away three copies of the book and a signed jersey.

Drumroll

Cycling podium
  • 1st prize: browndog wins the signed jersey and the book
  • 2nd-3rd photofinish: Alice and a Ben F copy of At Speed each

Congratulations. Please send an email with your name and address to claim your prize: inrng.com/contact.

• Sim1 Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 12:27 pm

INRNG, a big thanks INRNG for running this comp – a really nice touch from one of the best cycling bloggers out there

• The Inner Ring Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 12:56 pm

It was fun but it’s in large part thanks to Ebury, the publishers. And they get good publicity for their book. But I thought the quiz would be fun and a way to share something with readers.

• Netserk Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 4:42 pm

Which standard deviation was used? Otherwise it doesn’t make much sense.

• DNAtsol Thursday, 5 December 2013, 3:07 pm

IQ tests typically use the arbitrary number of 100 as the average and a st dev of 15

• Rahul Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 12:41 pm

You know, if it weren’t for the ‘genius’ comment (he’s a highly intelligent guy, Cav, but 128 isn’t ‘genius’ in any classification) this somewhere around what I would have guessed. But then perhaps if my own IQ were higher I’d have appreciated that Cav’s opinion of himself was never likely to be an underestimate!

Thanks, INRNG, for a great blog and a great competition.

• Lesli Cohen Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 1:27 pm

Coaches “pore” over SRM files. They “pour” juice into a glass. IQ. Pfffft.

• Aaron Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 2:24 pm

Personally, I’ve always found self-awareness and emotional intelligence are more important considerations.

• Sim1 Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 2:51 pm

I would agree Aaron.

What about you, Lesli?

• Lesli Cohen Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 3:21 pm

Sorry, I’m just an asshole genius with OCD.

• The Inner Ring Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 10:49 pm

No worries, corrections always welcome

• mendip5000 Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 6:20 pm

I’m laughing so hard my donation hurts.

• RocksRootsRoad Thursday, 5 December 2013, 2:23 pm

Show me the money.

• Larry T. Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 3:38 pm

Until I realized that Daniel Friebe wrote the book I thought 1st prize should be one copy, 2nd prize two copies, etc. It’ll be interesting to see how the Manx Missile gets on with the team now that they’ve brought in some hopes for GC in the Grand Tours. I thought the attention given to that (at Cav’s expense, at least in his opinion) was a big reason he bailed out on his previous squad – now it seems he’s back in the same situation? Of course things could be worse, imagine finding out that Oleg Tinkov is now your boss…they could make a TV show in Russia titled – Вы открыли!

• Dave H Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 4:23 pm

I am not sure that the situation at OPQS is quite the same as Sky. Sky had always stated that winning the Tour was their primary aim whereas OPQS are primarily concerned with the Spring Classics. I can’t imagine they are going to prioritise Uran over Cav at the Tour, in fact I would be surprised if they even send Uran there.

Of course if Cav has another (relatively) bad Tour then they might be more tempted to hedge their bets with a serious GC contender.

• Cilmeri Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 6:32 pm

I think given that Petachi and Renshaw have been brought in I think it’s safe to say that they’re putting a lot on Cav. imo Uran is there to either be a lone wolf and win stages in the tour, or to be backed for the Giro / Vuelta. I doubt very much that Cav will do the Giro this year as he was only in it last year for the red (?) jersey to complete the set.

• Othersteve Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 6:38 pm

You don’t have to be a Mensa International member to feel the love on
    Inrng’s blog.

• Bag Pus Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 10:47 pm

NOO- guessed right but must have got rolled on the line. Good comp, ah well…

• The Inner Ring Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 10:49 pm

Sorry, a good sized group to dispute the finish 🙂

• bikecellar Thursday, 5 December 2013, 12:14 am

Good game! Good game! )D

• The Inner Ring Monday, 23 December 2013, 9:40 am

A note to see “Browndog” and “Ben F” need to drop me an email to claim their prize.