Sunday morning in Flanders

Wednesday, 30 March 2011

This promotional video for Belgian daily Het Nieuwsblad was doing the rounds last year but a comment from a reader mentioned it and I think it’s worth a mention in its own right, especially if you did not see it last year.

The road graffiti saying “God is terug” means “God is back”.

jkeltgv March 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Wow…shivers down my spine.

Soooo pumped. At 31 years old, only Flanders & Roubaix (perhaps the worlds if it’s a good circuit) have the ability to make me feel like a child on Christmas eve.

Just 4 sleeps to go!

miller March 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I love the scene of the old man climbing on the barriers like he is a small child again, it’s amazing how these classics do that to people. Whenever you see footage of the Grand Tours, all that is seen is a mass of crazy drunks; you see true passion for the sport when it comes to the classics…..with a few drunks mixed in!

Birillo March 30, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Actors.

bikecellar March 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

It got to me, tears flowed, silly old bugger that I am, just to remember that this sport is properly appreciated by many, something thats easy to forget here in the UK.

Starr March 31, 2011 at 12:17 am

Heel mooie

Seemed to “choke” me even more this year. Thanks for re-posting.

The Inner Ring March 31, 2011 at 12:56 am

It’s a promo and designed to hype up the film. As Birillo says they are actors… but it still captures the way a quiet corner of Belgium suddenly comes alive to share the race.

Jarvis March 31, 2011 at 10:45 am

Damn! Want to go and ride those roads again.

I might have only been there once and they may be actors, but it was what it was like for me. Sharing a beer with the locals on the bergs then cramming into a bar to watch the finish.

Life/cycling balance means there is a danger I won’t get to watch even a dodgy feed of Flanders this year. A huge wrench as I think it will be a good edition.

Stumpy March 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

Brillo – I feel sorry for you… I bet you’re that dude while watching a movie tells everyone what’s going to happen before it does.

What a great clip, as per jkeltgv comment – sent shivers down my spine.

Larry T. March 31, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Can only watch on TV/Internet this year but in 2012 I’ll BE at the roadside for the Ronde and Paris-Roubaix. After seeing MSR in 2011 I’ve made a goal of seeing all five “monuments” before my life it over. I’d like to see Boonen win this Sunday…and next week too!

{ 1 trackback }