Supporter Caps

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

The supporter caps have arrived… and sold out faster than a rider offered a six figure “loan” from Alexander Vinkourov.

Suddenly it all feels more real than tapping away at a keyboard. To get your hands on one visit the prendas.co.uk shop.

What you see is what you get, these are cotton caps made in Italy and for sale with British shop Prendas Ciclismo. The price is £7.50 (about $12 / €10) plus postage which depends on the destination.

They’re long term supporters and friends of the site. As part of their business they get caps made in Italy and offered to help produce an Inner Ring one. They’ve also got the e-commerce worked out from payments to postage.

Cap in hand donation
If you’re not a collector of caps buying one (or more) will still help keep this site on the road as the sales revenue is split between Prendas and me.

Update: stocks are limited and they’re already selling fast. If they sell out we’ll order more.

Update 2: it seems they’ve sold out. They were going fast yesterday and Prendas thought they might sell out by the end of the week but it seems they went by the end of the day. At this is end is great to see this but sorry if there are frustrated buyers, a new order’s going in soon.

Tom H August 6, 2014 at 5:43 pm

They’re here!

Well done on the design, I’ll definately get one.

Nicholas Smith August 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I don’t wear or collect caps, and I’d like to support the site (more than clicking on a few ads anyway). Are you thinking of any other options?

The Inner Ring August 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Thinking… but it’s proving harder to go from idea to execution. So this is it for now.

To explain more I can do the blog in a few minutes a day but handling payments and posting other items is something else. I had been looking at socks and this is still an idea but it’d involve me handling sales and postage… and the time spent queuing in the post office is time that could go on the blog… or riding etc.

Nicholas Smith August 6, 2014 at 6:00 pm

What about an ebook? The best of the INRNG, with a couple of other articles that are exclusive? I’ve bought a few of those from other sites, they seem to be reasonably popular. I imagine your articles probably take a while to write due to the research though, but I’d be quite happy to pay for some exclusive ones and I imagine quite a few others would too! Plus with an ebook you put it up and make money whilst riding, it’s win win!

Velokyrie August 6, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I second the idea of an ebook — A collection of “roads to ride” and other interesting articles would be wonderful.

Right Knider August 6, 2014 at 10:52 pm

that book idea reminds me of this site: http://bldgblog.blogspot.co.at/

he made a fortune just collecting his posts into a book.
well i dont know how much he made but you can buy it in every arki-shop.

of course you cannot include tdf-previews but theres enough on this blog you still would read years after.

hoh August 7, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Haha, Not quite sure if BLDG made a fortune out of the book. He probably made enough to support the website. He never had as lively a discussion in the comments session as here though. Maybe Architects are just more reserved.

Still, nice to meet somebody who follow BLDG here.

btc reader August 6, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I’d send some BTC for your hard work!

Ched August 7, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I was quick enough to get a cap, but I also agree with Nicholas about supporting this site. There are quite a few “simple” ways to set up donation portals for any altruistic readers.
PayPal
Amazon Payments
stripe.com
patreon.com
subbable.com
Many of these services have subscription options so we could automatically give you $5 (or whatever) a month. I just thought I’d mention the option in case you hadn’t thought of it. Keep up the awesome work!

Lee August 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hooray! Purchase made.

Perhaps a page on the site somewhere of people wearing their caps in front of various col markers around the world?

Constantine August 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm

And in exactly the same colours as my bike. Excellent!

BC August 6, 2014 at 6:04 pm

At present the web site is showing an error message. As soon as the problem is resolved I will purchase a couple of INRNG caps. This is the least I can do to support the best cycling web site there is.

The Inner Ring August 6, 2014 at 6:12 pm

It seemed to go down within minutes of this post going up. I hope my readers haven’t overloaded the Prendas website ;-)

Talking of online error messages this site has been overloaded at times during the last few weeks. Some might have noticed some occasional “error establishing database connection” error messages and similar problems like the missing comments. It was due to the server being overwhelmed with up to 30 page loads per second. It should be resolved now.

Andy August 6, 2014 at 6:57 pm

It was an unrelated outage in the UK data centre that houses all four of our web servers….

Happy to report it’s all sorted now, but I’ll monitor it all evening.

Andy @ prendas

Amir August 6, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Are they suitable for the rider with a larger cranium? I’m desperate for a cycling cap and I’m not getting much luck.

Foley August 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Probably not, Amir. I expect it to fit me like a swim cap as they all do, and it will end up on my kid.

The Inner Ring August 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I can’t vouch for the size yet as they’ve just arrived with the shop, some are on their way to me now.

Mark August 7, 2014 at 1:07 am

I’m generally in the same boat. At the moment I’m relying on the Campagnolo caps. They fit. Just.

Scotter August 7, 2014 at 5:48 am

Looking around their website “All of our cotton caps are made in Italy and are a “one size fits all”. In reality, they fit the vast majority of people well but those above a 60cm will struggle.”

Thomas August 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I’m above 60cm and Prendas caps normally ‘just about’ fit me but the Inrng one is a bit small for me i’m afraid :-( at least it will be kept sweat free in the collection

mendip5000 August 6, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Looking forward to delivery!

Mike Burdon August 6, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Got mine ordered Good work fella !

Paddy Dunne August 6, 2014 at 7:02 pm

2 Caps orderd from Mick and Andy at Prendas. Thanks for the great reads. It is always interesting and challenges my perceptions about the pro scene. I am Lebusque, better that than Cycles Goff rider or Reilhan. Ho Hey!

Lee August 6, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Fantastic, will order mine when I get home.
Great to support this blog, the attention to detail and real research and insight into each topic is exceptional.

John Le G August 6, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Prendas do own-brand socks too – could probably be re-purposed pretty easily! You really don’t want to get into e-commerce…

Steve Rowley August 6, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Ordered! Happy to give support and be part of the team.

NancyA August 6, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I don’t wear or collect caps, either, but I do support this wonderful site. Purchase made!

Velokyrie August 6, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Done!

David August 6, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Great looking cap, mine is on the way!

TickTock August 6, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Please make shirts! Some of us don’t wear caps. Thanks for all that you do Inrng!

Phil August 6, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Ordered – N+1 in Caps!

BC August 6, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Website working OK now, a couple ordered. Thank you for the excellent site INRNG.

Kris August 6, 2014 at 9:45 pm

been waiting for these for a while! ordered 2 in case the mrs knackers one in the wash.

so happy to spread the word about probably the best written cycling site i’ve come across

Kevin G August 6, 2014 at 9:57 pm

One ordered and hopefully will soon be on its way down here in the Vaucluse. Postage to France a reasonable £2.95. Look forward to seeing who recognises it on the local rides round Ventoux.
Keep up the great work and also thanks to everyone for the most informed and civil comments of all the cycling forums.

DNF August 6, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Ordered!
(hope it fits, I have a small head!)

Right Knider August 6, 2014 at 10:39 pm

nicely done!

Right Knider August 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm

now i just need the fitting socks ;)

Antonio August 6, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Ordered, thanks.
How about a T shirt or Polo Shirt.

Worzel August 6, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Two caps ordered, one for me and one for Mrs Worzel…they’ll look good on our forthcoming end to end. Many thanks again for the most informative and civilised cycling website there is.

Reb August 6, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Good work Mr. INRNG.
I keep raving to all my fellow american riders
here (new york area) in the USA about you. Looking forward to more
merchandise in the future which i could buy to support
this best of all sites.

TeamSpy August 6, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Being a girl and not wanting “hat hair” a T shirt would be much appreciated if poss :)) but nice design. Is this a good time to say chapeau …… No, I though not

Jason August 6, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I thought I could wait until getting home before ordering my cap – they’re already out of stock!

Ben August 7, 2014 at 12:04 am

gutted to miss out this time! love the design!

Anonymous August 7, 2014 at 12:14 am

Great design, like the look of them very much and Prendas always do a fine job too.

Mark August 7, 2014 at 1:06 am

Wow. Out of stock already. Went to order and GONESKI….

Shame.

I’ll have to wait for another run.

For what it is worth. Socks / Caps. They are about the only items like this that I would order.

Paul Jakma August 7, 2014 at 1:17 am

I don’t see any button to buy the cap on the web-page? Does that mean it’s already out of stock? Damn :(

NancyA August 7, 2014 at 1:45 am

Sorry for all who missed the first round of cap purchases, but what a great tribute to Mr. Inrng!

Andy Logan August 7, 2014 at 1:46 am

Gutted, the Australian timezone worked against me.

John S. August 7, 2014 at 1:58 am

Add me to the list of readers looking forward to the caps being restocked. I was quite excited when I sat down after my evening (in the US) ride to check today’s post and saw that caps were finally available, only to find that they are already sold out! I suppose I just need to move to Europe so that I’m not perpetually 6 hours behind.

MickR August 7, 2014 at 2:47 am

OK, well, struggling for awhile to find the “buy” button but I think it is explained – sold out already. Let’s make a few hundred, shall we? Some other things look real cool but I’ll wait until we get the INRNG cap back in of course.

Ian Tivey August 7, 2014 at 4:46 am

Aww, was looking forward to being the envy of all the cyclists in Hong Kong! Please restock!!

Bibio August 7, 2014 at 5:22 am

Oh man, duped by the Aussie time zone… missed out:-(

Tovarishch August 7, 2014 at 6:34 am

Just hope they are not subject to the newly announced Russian sanctions!

Antoni August 7, 2014 at 8:05 am

Another suffering from being ‘down under’

Will grab one next time

Piwakawaka August 7, 2014 at 8:30 am

congratulations! please make some more.

BC August 7, 2014 at 8:31 am

SOLD OUT. What a resounding vote of confidence in the quality of INRNGs site and the general high quality of the comments. Well deserved, here is hoping the caps are re-stocked quickly.

The Inner Ring August 7, 2014 at 8:44 am

Wow, many thanks to all those who have bought one. A fresh order will be going in soon and they’ll be a give-away competition soon to win some too.

Sorry for anyone frustrated by the lack of stock overnight.

Alex222 August 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

And I was just about to buy one. As more are on order I have obviously have nothing to fear.

Ankush August 7, 2014 at 10:11 am

You clearly underestimated how much we love your work.

diamondjim August 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

Kevin August 7, 2014 at 10:21 am

Sold out of hats? Chapeau.

INRNG, have you also thought about a simple Paypal donate button?

BigSigh August 7, 2014 at 11:51 am

Too late! Can’t believe how quickly they went. Next time…

WB August 7, 2014 at 11:57 am

Chapeau INRNG and Prendas. Look forward to the next lot dropping.

Anonymous August 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm

If you want to get ahead, get a ……..!

Gus August 7, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Got mine this morning :-) check it out @Gus5ilva

Jim August 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Amir, a word of advice on finding a cap to fit you. Try Vulpine’s cap – they do them in three sizes and the L is humungous.

Dave August 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Cheers for the tip. I got one from Always Riding that fitted me well, but a second one I bought was is a bit snug. Rapha often offer three sizes, but sadly the price is XL…

Prendas Ciclismo August 7, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Dear all INRNG readers.

Firstly I’d like to thank Inner Ring for allowing us to partner with him on this little project. We are big fans of the blog and also the highly informative twitter feed which for us has replaced cyclingnews.com as the “go to” place for up to date information about pro cycling.

We have to admit seriously under-estimating the demand for the INRNG cap, but we are not keen on “ordering big and regretting later”. We ordered what we thought was a reasonable amount – which turned out to be n – 200 not enough! So we can only apologise/apologize.

Like most Italian factories, our cap producer closes during the month of August for summer holidays, but rest assured we’ll be at the front of the queue and we’ll get a new shipment of the INRNG caps at the end of September.

If you’d like to be informed of this new delivery, I’d ask you to please sign up for our stock notification service which is available on the product page here:

This is completely separate to our monthly sales email news letter, and you will only receive ONE email from us. By signing up to the stock notification, it will also allow us to gauge the correct number to reorder – so by signing up, it will help us help you if you like.

Thanks once again for the support and I look forward to seeing our advert on the blog during the Vuelta a Espana.

Kind Regards

andy

Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Was reading posts, thinking i may have missed out, only to see post on table with a familiar Bournemouth post mark! Nice one thanks INRNG and cheers Andy/Mick. AUPA!

Joel August 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Oh well, had to go for a world champion cap instead.

So, next time I get overtaken by an old lady with a basket, I will really look the part.

Jordan August 7, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I’m gutted I didn’t get a chance to snap up one of these caps, I want to support the site and I collect caps but please let the next ones be any other colour, really not keen on the black kit trend. Even the inverse of black on white would be good.

Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Fred August 7, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Do us a t shirt and I’ll be all over that!

BarrySlinger August 7, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Missed this… wounded… hope I manage to get one next time round.

Lab August 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I feel a bit guilty having ordered 2, I was only trying to make it a meaningful contribution rather than hog all the caps.

Prendas were then so quick in fulfilling the order that by the time I realised they had sold out (it occurred to me to call and reduce my order to a single cap) they had already sent me an email saying my order was on its way!

I do love caps though, can’t remember the last time I went on a bike without one so rest assured they’ll be used to destruction.

Thanks INRNG for the great blog and all the work that goes into it. Long may it continue.

Elle24 August 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm

How about musettes? No worries about size, hat-hair, etc., or affordability to judge from the offerings on Prendas’ site. Have put my name down for September caps in any case.

Thank you for all your truly excellent work, INRG!

Nancy August 7, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I knew it … should have ordered as soon as I read it! I will buy one from the next batch. I’m so pleased to have a way to support your marvelous blog. Thank you.

Dave T August 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

I snoozed and I lost, I’ll get one next time. My, you’ve got a lot of support out here. Richly deserved, too.

AK August 8, 2014 at 1:00 am

I go on a holiday for a week and not only the caps arrive, but all the caps are gone! Better luck in September then. Still I would much rather have a jersey than a cap, because I never wear caps.

othersteve August 8, 2014 at 1:45 am

I saw one of the caps on ebay for $100 USD. To be delivered in 1 month.

Just kidding… Perhaps we may see one of your caps on Brian’s Cookson’s head as congratulates the 2014 world road race champion

David August 8, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Cap arrived today – looks good and given how quickly they sold out I’ll feel a bit special for a while given the rarity. For those wondering about the one size fits all nature – normally I have no issue with cap sizes (helmet size is normally a medium for reference) but this one is noticeably tighter so probably not great for those with a large head …

And INRNG – thanks for the best cycling site out there! Great commentary and considered opinions rather than knee jerk reactions. Has increased my enjoyment of pro-cycling immeasurably.

BenW August 8, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Doesn’t bode so well as I have a massive head, it would appear. And that’s not accounting for my ego… I will get one regardless when the new batch comes though!

Alison August 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I can’t quite believe I’ve put myself on the waiting list for an item I know I will never actually wear, just to be able to say thank you in a pecuniary way! T shirts would be great though….

Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Inrng headset cap!

Kjetil August 8, 2014 at 9:31 pm

That was quick! I hope I’ll make it the next round. Thanks once again for a superb site.

pete August 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Got mine, sold like hot cakes. Looks great and nice for me to be supporting you.

pete

Paul Jakma August 9, 2014 at 1:34 am

Any chance of doing another version, a white cap with black graphics? It’d look nicer / classier / more traditional to me.

CGradeCyclist August 9, 2014 at 2:20 am

Inrng cycling kit? You could set up a run on Champsys, &the people could order whatever they like…??

VeloDeMontagne August 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Any idea when the next order will be in?

I really like the white on black cap, but also agree that black on white cap would be nice too. Or even white on red cap! Seems like you didn’t expect them to sell so fast, so congrats on having so many anxious supporters who want to show the world they support INRNG!

Not that you have any extra time on your hands, but you could screen print other items also. You now know that you have a huge fan base that will support you this way too. T-shirts, water bottles, etc.

velobeno August 13, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned already in comments or elsewhere, but it might be an idea to do a pre-order before production of 2nd round of caps! You’d have a better idea of qtys then. Even of colour prefs – but might be simpler to restrict this. Personally really like white on black.

And while you could raise funds with extending branding to other items, the elitest in me likes it just being the cap! Maybe a T-shirt though, for those not inclined to don headwear, and/or après ride!

Prendas Ciclismo August 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Dear all INRNG readers.

Many thanks for your comments and feedback.

We’re not a faceless company and actually *really value* feedback.

I’m pleased to say that we will be offering both a BLACK and WHITE version of the INRNG caps – both of which will arrive at the end of September.

Kind Regards

andy

Paul Jakma August 18, 2014 at 7:46 pm

You’re doing the white version? Yay!!! Thanks Prendas! Chances are high I’ll pick up some of your other caps too when the Inrng ones are back and I go order. ;)

Henry August 16, 2014 at 2:00 am

Thanks INRNG and Prendas. Was one of the lucky ones to place an order before they sold out, and it arrived today. It’s a damn fine cap!