Giro d’Italia Guide

Monday, 30 April 2012

The Giro d’Italia guide is now online. There’s a concise preview of every stage as well as information on the jerseys, the start list, TV viewing and more.

It is posted on a separate page of the website: http://inrng.com/giro. To dip in and out during the next four weeks use the “Giro d’Italia” link available at the top of your screen. The page will be updated daily and more information will be added as the start date gets closer.

In addition from day to day the blog will have more detailed previews of the key stages to take into account the state of the race, from riders to tactics and even the weather. There be more coverage with post-race analysis of the key moments, commentary and a look at Italian cycling, culture, food and more.

vincent April 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

A triple treat to look forward to. The race your Giro Guide and your blog posting. Tis all very much enjoyed and appreciated.

Adam April 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Fantastic, this will help me pass the boring hours at work this afternoon!

Ian April 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm

thank you so much, I know that my experience of the Giro is going to be dramatically improved this year having come across INRNG and of course all the interesting and intelligent contributors below the line. Can’t wait.

InTheGC April 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Been waiting for this, much obliged! Fantastic as usual, i’ll be back each day for the latest.

936ADL April 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Superb piece, a great guide to a great race!

Ablindeye April 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Looking forward to the Giro and your coverage of it, thank you.

Larry T. April 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Grazie! I tried to buy Bicisport’s excellent guide a few days ago but it had not yet arrived at my usual newsstand so it was very nice to see yours here. I will be somewhere on the climb to Cervinia on the 19th for what looks like my only “dose” of Giro d’Italia 2012 though we might also go to the Stelvio stage. My only reservation is they’re going up the “wrong” way – the classic numbered 48 switchbacks are on the other side. It also appears they’re going not all the way to the top of the Mortirolo but taking a detour before the summit to continue to Passo Stelvio. To me this is the danger of a “Giro by committee” or one designed based on Facebook input rather than the passion and single-mindedness of a guy like Vincenzo Torriani or Angelo Zomegnan. But I’ll admit they’re not marketing this to old farts like me, it’s that Facebook generation who has the disposable income they’re after. My fear is in chasing that, they risk losing the rest of their audience, but only time will tell. W il Giro! :-)

Patrick April 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm

What Vincent said.

Serge April 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Brilliant. I can’t wait for the daily updates. More of the same please.

Roadie61 April 30, 2012 at 11:28 pm

@INRNG: You sure have a way with words that keeps me coming back for more! Thanks for this invaluable guide. Great graphics combined with your concise summary of each stage really helps us
armchair cyclists know what to expect (at least as far as the route, gradients, elevation, etc.). What the riders do in this year’s Giro is another story, as is the always-changing weather.

The route looks well-designed with a nice variety for the sprinters, climbers, technical descenders, TTers, puncheurs, etc. Can’t wait for the mountain stages. My favorite part of any GT is when the climbs start to become selective enough to have notable gaps in time. Some of the steep gradients in the later climbing stages will help bring the final selection into better focus, and the maglia rosa may not change possession too many more times. This is the moment I wait for.